Green Mountain Perkins Academy
The historic Green Mountain Perkins Academy, located in South Woodstock, Vermont, offers a glance into early education in the state. Restored to its original condition, the building serves as a museum and repository of documents relating to the museum and community.
The Academy once educated young males and females in South Woodstock before the development of a public school system. The Vermont legislature granted a charter for the Green Mountain Liberal Institute in 1848. At its height, there were 200 enrolled, coming as far as New York to attend. The Academy changed its name to the Green Mountain Institute in 1859 and to the Green Mountain Perkins Academy in 1869. It closed in 1898.